After the new contract is announced, the local will have a window of opportunity to negotiate our Local Memorandum of Understanding (LMOU), historically 60 days following the new contract. This is a locally negotiated agreement that covers twenty-two (22) items specified by Article 30 of the CBA. Here are the items as listed in our contract:
- Additional or longer wash-up periods.
- The establishment of a regular work week of five days with either fixed or rotating days off.
- Guidelines for the curtailment or termination of postal operations to conform to orders of local authorities or as local conditions warrant because of emergency conditions.
- Formulation of local leave program.
- The duration of the choice vacation period(s).
- The determination of the beginning day of an employee’s vacation period.
- Whether employees at their option may request two selections during the choice vacation period, in units of either 5 or 10 days.
- Whether jury duty and attendance at National or State Conventions shall be charged to the choice vacation period.
- Determination of the maximum number of employees who shall receive leave each week during the choice vacation period.
- The issuance of official notices to each employee of the vacation schedule approved for such employee.
- Determination of the date and means of notifying employees of the beginning of the new leave year.
- The procedures for submission of applications for annual leave during other than the choice vacation period.
- The method of selecting employees to work on a holiday.
- Whether “Overtime Desired” lists in Article 8 shall be by section and/or tour.
- The number of light duty assignments within each craft or occupational group to be reserved for temporary or permanent light duty assignment.
- The method to be used in reserving light duty assignments so that no regularly assigned member of the regular work force will be adversely affected.
- The identification of assignments that are to be considered light duty within each craft represented in the office.
- The identification of assignments comprising a section, when it is proposed to reassign within an installation employees excess to the needs of a section.
- The assignment of employee parking spaces.
- The determination as to whether annual leave to attend Union activities requested prior to determination of the choice vacation schedule is to be part of the total choice vacation plan.
- Those other items which are subject to local negotiations as provided in the craft provisions of this Agreement.
- Local implementation of this Agreement relating to seniority, reassignments and posting.
Our request is that each of you takes some time to look at the existing LMOU for your office. Read through the twenty-two items, especially those that you feel are important. We will be announcing meetings in the near future to speak with you, our Members, about any proposed changes you would like to see in the LMOU language for your office. Bring any ideas that you have to the meeting and we can discuss them. We hope to hold several meetings for offices where the Members work on different tours/shifts so that every Member has a chance for input. Your right to have a voice in these meetings is one of the benefits of being a Member of the APWU and the Portland Area Local – exercise that right.
Please remember that if we want to change any item in the existing LMOU, we must negotiate with management. There is no guarantee that we can reach agreement on new language, but that should not prevent us from presenting proposals for negotiation. If you do not have a copy of your LMOU, they are available on this website.
Also, remember the old saying, “If you’re not at the table, you’re on the menu.”